Examples of some recent client projects and media coverage, plus the development of our stakeholder analysis tool.
Critical Resource provides strategic advice and support on sustainability and stakeholder issues to a number of leading global organisations (client identities are kept confidential). Our work focuses on, but is not limited to, the natural resources sector.
Examples of current client projects include:
- Support for a major internal research project on the challenge facing oil and mining companies in gaining access to resources. This has included a scoping analysis on the sustainability and other non-economic levers now being used by companies to gain access. Client: global professional services firm
- A review of emerging best practices for managing human rights issues across a client’s industry. The review covers issues such as security and resettlement and examines both corporate-level policies and internal management systems. One of the aims of this work is to assist the client in facilitating the uptake of best practices across the industry. Client: global industry organisation.
- Development of an early-stage “think piece” for a client on the issue of taxation regimes and economic development in the resources sector. Client: global industry organisation.
- Research for a client on the extent to which mainstream financial markets – that is, outside specialist “Socially Responsible Investment” funds – are building environmental, social and governance issues into their investment approach, and analysis of the main drivers and barriers relating to this. Client: global professional services firm.
Critical Resource is also currently developing a proprietary stakeholder analysis tool to help resource firms – and financiers of resource projects – to assess stakeholder pressures at the project level. Such pressures are often growing in intensity and complexity, including from local, national and international stakeholders, and managing them well can be fundamental to project success. More details will follow in subsequent articles on our ‘News and insights‘ page. The following media articles and coverage since 2006 may also be of interest:
- FT opinion: search.ft.com/ftArticle?queryText=energy+rebels&aje=true&id=060501000683
- Prospect article on resource nationalism: www.c-resource.com/html/prospectcrudepolitics06.pdf
- Guardian opinion: www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1677343,00.html
- BBC World Service interview: www.c-resource.com/Daniel_Litvin_04_12_06.mp3 (MP3 file)