‘The Heat is On’ Initiative: catalysing leadership by fossil fuel companies on climate change.
THE HEAT IS ON
- Critical Resource recently led ‘The Heat is On’ initiative to catalyse leadership on climate change.
- We convened stakeholders from industry, government, donors and civil society to develop ‘big ideas’ on how the industry can transform itself to operate profitably in a carbon-constrained world.
- Our report highlighted the significant gap between what the industry is currently doing and what it would need to do in order to be compatible with a 2-degree outcome, and offered recommendations for how leading companies can become part of the solution rather than part of the problem of climate change.
- The Advisory Panel of leading industry and international figures comprised:
- Lord Browne: Executive Chairman, L1 Energy and former CEO of BP
- Connie Hedegaard: Former EU Commissioner for Climate Action
- Baroness Julia King: Former senior Rolls-Royce executive
- Julia Marton-Lefèvre: Former Director-General, IUCN
- Dr Bert Metz: Former Co-Chairman, Working Group III, IPCC
- Sir Mark Moody-Stuart: Former Chairman of Shell and Anglo American
- Michael Zammit Cutajar: Former Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- For information on our climate services, click here
- Financial Times – ‘groundbreaking report’
- The Guardian – coverage of the initiative
- Reuters – ‘gap between plans and climate pledges’
- Financial Times – ‘Energy groups face Kodak moment’
- Wall Street Journal – quote from Daniel Litvin, Critical Resource MD
- BBC – interview with Daniel Litvin, Critical Resource MD (click the video to play):