Critical Resource specializes in political, sustainability and stakeholder risks facing natural resource investments. We advise senior executives and investors in some of the world’s largest companies.
We believe the future’s most successful resource firms will be those that manage these risks better than their competitors. Using our unique approach, LicenseSecure, we assist clients to do so in a highly responsible and sustainable way.
Our core team brings together experience working for major resource firms, The Economist, McKinsey, and Chatham House, among other organisations. The senior advisory panel for LicenseSecure comprises Lord (John) Browne, Bill Emmott and Prof Paul Collier.
Recent news and articles
- Sir Mark Moody-Stuart: “CEOs must listen and visibly engage” (Jan 2013)
Sir Mark Moody-Stuart gives his top tips on managing stakeholder expectations, resource nationalism, and other social and political pressures. more»
- Mining a rich seam of distrust (Dec 2012)
Will Gabriel Resources be able to advance the controversial Rosia Montana project in Romania? more»
- Empires of Profit: big companies & political backlash (Dec 2012)
A newly updated book by CR's director reveals surprising parallels between powerful firms from history and modern-day corporate giants more»
- A nation moving from rifles to riches (Sep 2012)
Resource firms need to think big, and small, in Sierra Leone more»
- Problems in the pipeline (Aug 2012)
The long-term success of East Africa’s booming oil industry will depend on companies’ ability to navigate a complex web of geopolitical issues more»
- Q & A with Shell CEO: ‘host country relations’ key to success (Feb 2012)
Peter Voser talks to Critical Resource about partnering with resource countries, the ‘gas revolution’, and strengthening industry standards more»
- 'Shine the light on payments': Q&A with Clare Short (Jul 2011)
The new chair of the EITI Board gives her thoughts on the ‘resource curse’, recent events in North Africa, and the future of the global transparency initiative more»
- Lessons from Deepwater Horizon: Q&A with Lord Browne (Feb 2011)
The former CEO of BP talks to Critical Resource about the Macondo oil spill, corporate responsibility and the future of the oil industry more»