Critical Resource specializes in political, sustainability and stakeholder risks facing natural resource investments. We advise senior executives and investors in some of the world’s largest companies.
We believe the future’s most successful resource firms will be those that manage these risks better than their competitors. Using our unique approach, LicenseSecure, we assist clients to do so in a highly responsible and sustainable way.
Our core team brings together experience working for major resource firms, The Economist, McKinsey, and Chatham House, among other organisations. The senior advisory panel for LicenseSecure comprises Lord (John) Browne, Bill Emmott and Prof Sir Paul Collier.
Recent news and articles
- LicenseSecure ratings update: Premier Oil, Falklands (May 2015)
Analysis of political & social risks at an oil exploration project in the Falklands. more»
- Q&A with NRGI: “Transparency is the best disinfectant” (Apr 2015)
The president of the influential Natural Resource Governance Institute highlights leaders and laggards among extractive firms. more»
- LicenseSecure ratings update: Nautilus Minerals, PNG (Apr 2015)
Analysis of political & social risks at a seabed mining project in Papua New Guinea more»
- Q&A with Tullow Chairman: the oil price & new African realities (Feb 2015)
Simon Thompson discusses the oil-price collapse and new realities for extractive companies and African governments. more»
- Lord Browne calls for stronger industry action on climate (Nov 2014)
Lord Browne, former BP CEO, calls on extractive firms to take action on climate at CR event - as featured in the FT. more»
- Q&A with IFC director: “Future lies in complex regions” (Nov 2014)
Bernie Sheahan, head of IFC’s resource investments, sees big projects in complex regions as key to industry growth. more»
- Ratings update: Freeport McMoRan and Pemex (Nov 2014)
A mining and an oil project facing political and social risks: updates from the LicenseSecure database. more»
- No magic bullet: operating in conflict-prone environments (Oct 2014)
With wars raging in many parts of the world, how can resource companies balance the risks and rewards, while operating responsibly? more»